Mijn lijst met blogs

zondag 20 maart 2011

Spring......

Spring is here!! I know this not because of the beautiful weather for the last couple of days but by the apperance of buds on plants and BABIES!! I also know this by the abudance of dead ducks on the side of the road that they are on the make like a hormonal teen and just fly right out in front of a car chasing the gal down for a little action. Of course I wont show you a picture of the dead ducks but I will show you a picture of BABIES!!

I love spring in The Netherlands. All the new life and activity. We have a lot of wldlife that you can just come across while you are walking down the road. I will be definately on the lookout for baby ducks and swans this spring but for now I have spotted the first of the spring lambs just right down the road from me. This field full of mamas and babies looks like this farmer hit the jackpot with twins this year. 

Mama and babies haveing a mid afternoon nap


.

The day after I spotted the lambs in the field I saw a clip on television over a sheep farmer and what his life is like during the 6 weeks that his 60+ sheep are "lambing". This old guy has a makeshift bed that is raised above the floor of the barn where he sleeps for that 6 weeks. His old crippled big hands are no longer fit to help a mama sheep out that may be having problems so his wife, who used to assist in human births, does this bit of work for him. I found it all pretty interesting. I also have much respect for these farmers who make sure we have something cute to watch as they grow up running and jumping around in the fields. I'll try not to mention growing up to become yummie food in a year...really, I'll try hard not to.
Yeah, I guess I didnt succeed.  I am just glad that when they do go to slaughter they dont look like these little darlings anymore.

                                     
Enjoying the afternoon sun     
                
I am excited about spring and think I will take a nice afternoon walk on this beautiful day.
Have a beautiful spring day everyone!     


2 opmerkingen:

  1. Hi Cindy,

    I'm Kim Stevens Gibson's cousin and I live in Canada. I saw your blog on Bridget's blog. I'll be interested to read about your adventures. It's exciting moving to a new country, although I've not made such a dramatic move as you. Best regards,

    Nancy

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Hi Nancy..I am so sorry that I never saw this before. I am also Kims cousin...well, more like 3rd cousins. Our grandmothers were sisters. I am glad you like my blog. I am just learning and am definately not a writer. I have more in the works but I am a little slow at getting pictures! Thanks for reading. Cindy.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen